Earth System Research for our Future
The GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national research centre for Earth sciences.
Research at the GFZ focuses on the geosphere within the highly complex System Earth with its further subsystems, its interacting subcycles, and its wide network of cause-and-effect chains. This we do in a close interdisciplinary collaboration with the related scientific disciplines physics, mathematics, chemistry, and biology as well as with the engineering sciences disciplines of rock mechanics, engineering hydrology and seismology.
Our methodical core competences are:
- application and development of satellite technologies and space-based measuring methods
- operation of geodetic-geophysical monitoring networks
- application of geophysical deep-sounding techniques for the tomography of the solid Earth
- execution of scientific drilling laboratory and in experimental techniques
- modelling of geoprocesses
We therewith contribute to the mission of the Helmholtz Association and its Research Fields Earth and Environment and Energy to solve some of the most pressing questions of society.
Further information: www.gfz-potsdam.de